Thursday, March 04, 2010

Not One Bit Camera Shy…..

It's been almost 7 years since the war in Iraq started.  It seems like a lifetime ago.  Those months are still a blur in my memory - probably due to a whole lot of stress and very little sleep.  I think I just "functioned". Kelli was the baby - 10 years old when Bobby left.  For such a little girl, she knew exactly what was going on.  She had a very "adult" view point on everything and wasn't afraid to voice her opinion.  For those of you who know her today, I'm sure that doesn't surprise you.  I came across this photo from the morning his unit left.  We were standing in a family group, talking.  She was standing with her poster she'd made.  The next thing I knew, I saw a reporter across the room motion to Kelli.  With no prodding on my part, Kelli walked across the room and proceeded to be interviewed for the evening news. 

kelliinterview

A few minutes later, they asked her Marine to join her.  I remember Bobby putting his arm around Kelli's shoulders and stating that "this is all the reason I need to come home safely". 

Thankfully, he did.

No comments: