Thursday, October 15, 2009

Hoosier Girl – Alaskan Memories No. 2

My first memory of Day 2 was waking at 2:15 AM and NOT finding my brother in the room.  His last words to me were, “I’m going up to the Crow’s Nest for a beer”.  That was at 10:00 PM.  So, I lay there for a while thinking that tomorrow I’d be interviewed on the TODAY Show – about how my little brother got drunk and fell overboard somewhere in the North Pacific.  About the time that I let my mind go a little crazy, he walked in the room.  My first words were “WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN??!!”  His response on this day and throughout the remainder of the week….”with my Scentsy friends”.  I thanked GOD, rolled over and went back to sleep. 

Sunday was a rough day.  The seas were bad – 12-15 foot swells.  We were up early and headed to the Lido Deck for breakfast.  Inside the elevators were these nice little floor mats that kept us in touch with the day of the week - ‘cause you know when you’re on vacation, you tend to FORGET!!


I was doing “ok” – but only because I’d taken my Bonine.  A lot of people were sick and MIA from the public areas of the ship.  The staff served up bowls of green apples throughout the dining areas and baskets were even delivered to our rooms.  Supposedly, green apples curb nausea, and I have to say that it did help.  Frank and I both agreed that our spouses would never make it with these seas.

After breakfast, we strolled out by the Lido Deck Pool and I have to say that this may have been the first time I’ve ever seen “white caps” on a pool.  The ship was rolling and the water couldn’t be contained in the pool.  The sight of this was enough to send me back to my room for a nap.



I think I took several naps on this day.  Every time I’d start to feel a little “iffy” with the seas, I’d head back to the room for a nap.  In between my naps, we took a tour of the ship’s galley.  It’s really amazing how they prepare the amount of food they do!!




This ship had a beautiful library and computer area, complete with DVDs that could be checked out and watched in our room.  We did check out “Mystery, Alaska”.  I mean, it seemed appropriate.




By evening, the seas had calmed a little and people seemed ready to venture out and enjoy the first Formal Night and Captain’s Dinner.  We made our way to the theater lounge, and met our Captain and the primary members of his crew.  Then it was time to enjoy a wonderful dinner in the dining room. 


…and now it’s time for a good night’s sleep.  Tomorrow – JUNEAU!!!

No comments: