Thursday, December 21, 2006

Babes in Toyland

I came home from the cruise in time to enjoy Kelli and her classmates in Clay High School's production of Babes in Toyland last weekend. This has consumed Kelli's life for the past 8-10 weeks - but all the hard work definately paid off! I have never been more impressed!!! Today, I opened the South Bend Tribune and noticed a wonderful review written by Jim Meenan. Guess he pretty much sums it up...

Hats Off to Clay -
In the two years I have been writing up high school play previews for The Tribune, I’ve always wanted to go see one. Saturday night, I finally did. The presentation of "Babes in Toyland," offered an ideal family night out, especially when you consider that a 5-year-old who loves to sing, is part of the family. After watching first Clay High School’s Choirs perform a wonderful 45-minute Christmas show featuring song, dance and an opening and close worthy of its own CD, then watching a play that captured my lad’s attention for another 2 1/2 hours, I have to say: I came away quite impressed.
As my wife said as we drove away, "it gives you a whole different vision of Clay High School."
Indeed, it was a night for Clay to hold its head high. From the opening number of "Carol of the Bells," in which the Clay mixed choir, women’s choir, concert choir and swing choir joined forces to all but encircle the auditorium and present a most beautiful sound, to "Silent Night," when they finished in a similar fashion, it was worthy of its own concert. Then came the play with plenty of music, dancing, toy solders and nursery rhyme characters, that definitely had my boy laughing out loud, and my wife, I and the audience quite impressed. Hats off to the likes of leads John Raab (Alan) and Katie Kuehner (Contrary Mary) who both appear to have very bright futures. We were also quite impressed with Josh Lukas as Barnaby, who did so well as the villain, he was able to get boos and catcalls at the final curtain, George Lund as Tom Tom, Christopher Griffith as Toymaker and Michael Ponder as Inspector Marmaduke. All were plenty entertaining.And my boy got the biggest kicks out of Philip Salvador as Roderigo, the assistant to Gonzorgo (Donny Bradley).
It was a great show, all the way around. I only have one suggestion though for the future, especially with a kid’s show. Have only one show and break out the choir to its own night. Their show by itself would be worth a price of admission.
Anyway, hats off to Clay on a job well done. We will be back. And thank you.

No comments: