Thursday, February 28, 2008

My Creative Side....

I often wonder where my creative side evolved from. My mom didn't sew or stitch. She had no real hobby - except maybe cooking - and this was something she excelled at!! Sadly, her expertise in the kitchen failed to rub off on me. I must have been spending too much time with my grandmother (Gibby) as she taught me to crochet and embroider. As far back as I can remember, Gibby was teaching me a craft. Today, I still crochet. The embroidering led to a love of counted cross stitch and framed pieces still adorn my home. Unfortunately, that craft gave way to scrapbooking about ten years ago - and I haven't picked up a piece of aida cloth or a needle since.

As a little girl growing up, Gibby lived with us. My father was a widower and Gibby a widow. She moved to southern Illinois and set up housekeeping for my dad - and then he met my mom, they married, had me and my brother and the rest is history.

Besides needlework, Gibby made the BEST homemade cinnamon rolls with raisins and nuts. I can still see her pulling a pan of those rolls out of the oven - and the glorious smell that would surround us. She's been gone now for over 25 years, but every time I pick up my crochet hook I think of her. Hopefully I can pass down a tradition or a craft to Grace and Anna that will cause them to pause and think of me years from now.

No comments: