Thursday, August 24, 2006

Reflections...

I spent the first 25 years of my life in a small town in southern Illinois - Greenville (an hour east of St. Louis on I. 70) My dad worked for the post office and my mom operated a daycare. I attended Central School (which was long ago demolished), Greenville Jr. High (which has also been demolished) and Greenville High School (home of the Comets). I lived on the west end of town - within walking distance of the library. Life was so much simpler then - we walked or rode our bikes just about everywhere. I spent many a day at Susie Fraenkel's house playing with our Barbie dolls - she always had nicer one's than me and she had the Barbie house. I also remember that she had a colored television, while we still had black and white. (Today, how many colored televsions do we have in our house??) Like I said - a much simpler time.

I "shared" a car with my mom when I turned 16. Our summers were spent at the Sportsman Club - where we "baked" in the sun and cooled off in the lake. In high school, my best friends were Dawn Turley, Jackie Oakley and Marilyn Wall.

Bob and I met during our junior year of high school, when his family moved from St. Louis to Greenville. Our first date was a St. Louis Cardinal baseball game in the old Busch Stadium (which was demolished last year).

After high school, Bob attended Kaskaskia Jr. College to play baseball and I attended Greenville College as an education major.

I remember as a college cheerleader, posing for our media guide atop this brick wall in front of the college. After college, Bob and I married and settled down in Greenville. I worked at the elementary school, and Bob worked for the Kroger Company.

When our twins came along in 1980 (and joined Carrie and Bobby), I became a stay at home mom. A few more years and several Kroger transfer laters - we ended up in South Bend, Indiana - and have called this "home" for nearly 20 years.

1 comment:

Undomesticated Goddess said...

Small world, I am from Indianapolis, but I now live in Paris, IL. Found you through library thing.